Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dribs and Drabs

Life as a breast cancer "survivor" - (that's the only word I can come up with, even though I do not like it) - is pretty dull these days. So, instead of posting several paragraphs with my thoughts on a specific topic, today I am just going to list a few items or facts that have flitted across the screen of my daily life this summer.




  1. In July, I was so blase about my health that I FORGOT a three month check-up appointment with my oncologist.


  2. In August, I went to the rescheduled appointment, and was pleased but not surprised to learn that all seems to be well with the state of my health, in so far as that is ascertainable.


  3. Having waked up several nights in recent months with my nightclothes soaking wet with sweat, I looked up some articles on the web about tamoxifin, the anti-estrogen drug I am taking, and its side effects. One interesting British study (2008) found that the women who experience night sweats on this drug are significantly less likely to have a cancer recurrence. So, I say, bring 'em on!


  4. It interests me that every day, I am aware of breast cancer, but not in a bad, scary way. When I walk the dog, I think about how fortunate I am. In fact, when I do almost anything that is routine, I am frequently conscious of the pleasure of the ordinary. And, of course, having read stories written by other folks with cancer in their lives, I know that this mental state is itself pretty ordinary. What I am experiencing is nothing new, but I am so pleased to be able to live in this state of grace.


  5. Living with cancer offers a chance to live in an exquisite balance between the ordinary and the extraordinary.


  6. I continue to learn about ways to stay healthy. My dietary program keeps me busy, because I usually don't just "grab a bite" for lunch; often, I actually stop to cook vegetables to go with a lean protein. Very few sandwiches for me these days. I am grateful, also, to have good food easily accessible - grocery stores, farmer's markets, places to get organic meat and produce. Also, I have made my own non-toxic all purpose cleaner, as well as a fruit and vegetable wash. It makes me laugh that I use Borax for numerous cleaning jobs these days, remembering the tv show of my childhood, "Wagon Train," and Ward Bond announcing, "brought to you by 20 Mule Team Borax." We never should have moved on from the old tried and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment